Monday, June 2, 2008

Slowing of the swallow mechanism

An update: My last appt was on May 26th (in Edmonton, again) and it was to review my physical tests (barium x-ray and sleep apnea tests). The Dr. said I show no signs of sleep apnea, but show a slowing of my swallowing mechanism in my lower esophagus called Esophageal Dysphagia.

Guess it's a big deal, cause now I have to go back for another 2 tests to look at this issue and 'prove' that it's not going to be a problem (he said I would defiantly NOT enjoy either of these tests). As the Lap-Band also slows down the swallowing process, if you've got a serious problem with it then the lap-band may make it so slow you can't swallow anything at all. Not good.

This makes me nervous and frustrated. What if it makes it impossible for me to get a lap-band? That will majorly SUCK. After all this time and effort to get a 'yes' then it becomes a 'no' because of this problem. And the appt for the endoscopy is now set for August.

Looks like no lap-band this year either at this rate. I'm annoyed.

By the time I finally get approved I'll have lost all the weight. Then will they still do it to help me maintain the loss? Probably not.

So I'll regain at some point, which is almost a given, and start the whole process over? Or pay for it privately? Where do I go from here?

Maybe it was that super-cute x-ray tech's fault. Maybe he made me too nervous. LOL!!

No comments: