Sunday, December 3, 2006

Musings...

Thank you Rosie for the link to "What to Ask Your Bariatric Surgeon" an excellent resource for those considering surgery.

Speaking of considering surgery... I promised to comment on some of my other self-questions including: For year's I've thought WLS was an easy way out -- what has changed? and Do I have realistic expectations?

These are definitely important questions and difficult to answer. The last one is easier to answer, as I have read that most patients lose 1/3 of their total weight within 2 years. For me that would be 250 x 30% = 75 lbs. That would mean I would weigh 175 lbs. Although I'd love to weigh a "perfect" weight for my height of 135 lbs, I realize that is unrealistic.

If I exercise to capitalize on the surgery success, I'm hoping to get down to 150. That means I should go from a size 24 down to a size 14 (assuming 10 lbs per dress size, so "they" say). That would be wonderful. I even have an old photo of me when I was about 150 lbs and 16 years old -- I'll try to find it and post it eventually!

As for WLS being an easy way out... the more I've researched it, and the more I learn of the possible problems related to the surgery, the harder I try to lose weight on my own... the more surely convinced I've become that it takes a LOT of courage to admit you're beat and to face a radical surgery rather than give up completely.

My bio-mom is very large... at times she's been much, much larger than I. I couldn't even really guess, but I think she was over 300 lbs at some times in her life. She's lost enormous amounts of weight, just to gain it back + more. I've come to the conclusion that fighting my genes is almost impossible and requires more drastic changes to my life than I can accomplish alone.

I am not a couch potato to begin with, but I think it would take at least 2 hours a day of strenuous exercise and a very rigid diet to maintain anything close to the results I could get with their surgery. So I suppose it's an "easy" way to provide a strong measure of self control on oneself, and maybe an "easy" way to stop the hunger, but the risks are high and the post-op complications are scary.

For me I gave up the "it's a cop out" attitude about a year ago when I realized the truth -- my hunger is ruling my life. I'm afraid of it, I avoid it and I sooth it immediately at all costs. Without help in the hunger department, I'm doomed. So I am looking to this surgery to fix my hunger problems, with it I will endeavor to change my activity levels (without having to go overboard) and change my diet to a healthier version of the "not too bad now" that it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't want you to take these comments wrong, because I think you have a huge amount of courage not only to consider this surgery, but to share the process with all of us in cyberspace, but some of your comments make me curious.

First, you say that when you have the surgery you will change your eating habits and increase your exercise. What's stopping you from doing that now? I get that once you hit a certain weight, it is extremely difficult to lose weight, I've been there myself. I'm just curious what is different about your level of exercise and diet now. Obviously, after surgery you can only eat a little, but would it not be to your advantage to eat a healthy diet now in preparation for surgery?

Second, you say that hunger rules your life. What about the surgery will change your level of hunger? From what I understand, the surgery changes the way you absorb calories and the size of your stomach to reduce the amount of food you can eat. Will this reduction really change your hunger level enough to make you satisfied with only a few bites at meal times? It seems to me, hunger is twenty percent physical and eighty percent mental. Will the surgery make your brain stop wanting food when your body can no longer handle it?