Thursday, November 20, 2008

Food ideas and the psychology of "less"

Well, I'm a little surprised at myself... I'm having a little bit of trouble with how little food I'm eating. Not physically, just psychologically. 1/2 cup of food is a scarce, wee little bit. After I eat it, I feel full, but honestly... it's such a tiny amount!! It used to be a huge salad with a little meat and cheese with dressing and loads of veggies to fill me up. Maybe 4-6 cups of leafy food if I was really hungry. Chewed all up... at least 2 cups still I'd bet. Now a minuscule can of lite tuna and 4 crackers and I'm full. I don't even have the band filled yet. Wow.

I am, however, feeling hunger a little bit again now. But I console myself with the knowledge that there's nothing in the band yet and that it will change when I get my first fill. My incisions are all healing very nicely and I've been doing a funny little pre-bedtime routine where I open a vitamin E capsule and rub it on the incisions then wrap myself in plastic wrap. Silly, I know, but otherwise it would get on the sheets. It absorbs very slowly and it seems to be making a big difference. 3 of the 5 incisions are completely healed now. There's some scar tissue beneath them that I can feel (especially the highest one that sometimes gets squished by my underwire... HELLO!!! That gets my attention!!

So I'm looking for food ideas. I'm still a real foodie... but I just eat less of it so taste and quality are becoming high priorities. I just had a small tin of lite tuna with mayo style dressing (110 calories, 18 g of protein - wow!) with 4 Triscuit whole wheat crackers with olive oil and rosemary - yummy - but 80 calories? really? come on!! Not much food, but I feel satisfied and it way way tasty which helps (well, I'm not 'full', I don't feel 'full' anymore, it's more like not hungry than it is like being full). That will last me 2 hours with a nice glass of water in between the next meal/snack. And no real hunger for a few hours either. It's kinda odd.

So some suggestions for yummy small foods... some readers must be post-op, so spill the beans... what are your favorites?! (And don't say beans... those are NOT my favorite). :o)

No comments: