Tuesday, February 20, 2007

First day on new diet...

First day on my new USANA diet. Got a shake for breakfast - blah! - grainy as expected. And had my 10:30 snack - not bad a little bar called a "Iced Lemon Fibergy" bar. Hungry now though at 11:00. Shouldn't eat until 11:30. Here we go again... all these "you won't get hungry" promises seem to fly out the window and then you've paid your $ and have to struggle through caffine detox and hunger and too much water (3 pees already today).

HOWEVER - I would say that these products are definately healthy AND I'm feeling more energetic already. So that's a start! Don't want to trash the product - it's probably much more about my stupid metabolism than anything. And I'm 99% sure that after 5 days of this I won't have dropped one ounce. After all, I once did the "Master Cleanse" for 14 days - nothing to eat and only all-you-can-drink of an odd maple syrup and lemon juice drink combined with cayenne pepper pills. That's it. The hunger does go away pretty quick... but I suddenly got to this strange place where my body told me I was STARVING (after 12 days though - go figure)!!! The creators of this cleanse don't mention this anywhere so I didn't know if I could get past it. I waited 2 days in hell... then I had nachos. LOL! And funny enough they tell you NOT to do that - to go off it slowly or you'll die (or something equally stupid) and you know what? Nothing happened... my stomach was grateful and I felt 100% better within minutes.

At any rate, bottom line? 14 days with less than 300 calories a day and what happened? NOTHING. Again, I didn't lose an ounce. My sister-in-law and her brother both lost weight (he lost like 15 lbs). I lost nothing. It's actually quite shocking to think that my metabolism is so efficient it can make me survive without weight loss on less than 300 calories per day.

Now I know what you're thinking... how will weight loss surgery help then? Well, I'm thinking that my body went into starvation mode and was able to eek out survival for 14 days, but then it sent a very clear message - EAT NOW!! So I did. If I had passed that point, well I would have surely lost weight I think. And WLS is long term and you still do eat vs. just starving yourself ridiculously. I guess you kinda do starve yourself for the first few months (but don't know it cause you don't feel the hunger signals), but after that you're eating normal-ish food in small amounts. And taking nutritional supplements, so I don't know. I do know that very few people have this surgery and then don't lose weight. In fact, I'm not sure if anyone could go through WLS and not lose something.

The doctors are often quoted as saying "The first 100 is on me... the rest is on you!" Meaning the initial weight loss is a jumpstart to YOU making changes in your life that will take you the rest of the way.

Comments?

No comments: