Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Food Diaries

In preparation for my first bariatric surgery consult (on Friday), I had to do a one week food diary. Let me tell you... it sure makes a difference in what you eat (at first) when you have to write it down. Increased awareness is a positive tool in weight loss I'm sure.

A neat online resource for doing this can be found here: www.myfooddiary.com

Maybe give it a try - you might be surprised to see when you're hungry, what you eat, how long you stay full and how often you eat when you're not hungry. I was most surprised to see that I starve myself often... I was getting hungry (at predictable times) when there was no food to be had. I should have known I would be hungry around that time, but I had no healthy snack with me to eat. Consequently, I would get really way too hungry the next time and eat something bad. I've made a change based on this already.

It also occurred to me that I eat a LOT of carbohydrates. I think everyone does, but I wasn't aware of how much really... one change I've already made is to make sure I have protein with every meal as it helps fill you up and keep you going longer between hungers. I also noted that I'm still applying the Weight Down Workshop principle of only eating when hungry! So that's a good little victory. Yippee for Jen!

No comments: