Friday, March 14, 2008

Hard work

Spent the last 3 days hauling around HEAVY lumber, tiles and hardwood. Today I had a nice, slim, athletic girl bounce up to me and say "How did you get stuck with this job girl?". She's a realtor, and obviously a health nut cause she's muscular and not just slim. I said "I'm the boss, so this is what I get paid the big bucks for!". She laughed, we chatted. Nice girl.

But you know what I was really thinking the whole time? I was wondering if she thought it odd that I lug around hundred pound window header beams (4 deep 2x10" headers about 6' long... they are WAY HEAVY, believe me), slate tile (60 lb boxes, by the dozens), hardwood floor boxes (50 lbs, again, dozens of the damned things)... and yet STILL I'M OBVIOUSLY QUITE FAT. I wondered if she thought that. She probably didn't, she's probably a nice lady and it never crossed her mind. But it did cross mine.

She probably does an hour at the gym each day, jogging away happily. And she looks great. Good for her... REALLY, I mean it. But I'm sure frustrated with my situation these days. I get to budget out about 1400 calories per day. Most of the men I work with daily eat that much for lunch (or more, plus a huge dinner). And then most days I'm working so hard I don't even get to eat for 6 hours or more at a time (like today, I had about 600 calories by the end of lunch at 1 pm, then didn't eat dinner until 7 pm).

Meanwhile I'm sweating and working very hard for a woman. Home building ain't for sissies, that's for sure. And what's the bottom line each week? I get on the scale and SOMETIMES I lose a pound or two. Yipee. What a crappy deal. But it is just like the movie girl below says... lots and lots of us (fat people) eat moderately. For my amount of work I think I'm probably not even eating enough calories, not even close for the days I work very hard.

Yeah, yeah... poor me. I know. I sound like a broken record. I guess it's some small condolence that IF I ever DO get stuck on an uninhabited island and have to fend for myself, I'll outlast every last thin person there FOR SURE! I'll build a house and have energy to spare without eating anything but sand and palm leaves. LOL!!

However, maybe, just MAYBE this week I'll see a good weight loss. However, it's more likely that I'll get on the scale and have gained weight - muscle... oh great. I always seem to do that... the harder I "work-out" to LOSE weight, the more weight I put on as muscle. Which would be fine, except that the WeightWise clinic doesn't measure body fat %, they only look at the scale. So even if it is muscle, it will get me kicked out of the surgery list if I don't get the scale moving in the downwards direction. I know it can't last, but time is of the essence. I'm worried about it a bit, but we'll see what happens at my weigh in on Tuesday (in-home).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are following a diet the surgery people prescribed, but has it ever occurred to you to increase your calories? There have been a lot of studies that say that if you do not take in enough calories, your body thinks it is starving so it begins hording every calorie it can--in other words, if you do not take in enough calories to compensate for the calories you are burning, you will not lose weight. It is one of those many frustrating catch 22s of dieting.

I was also thinking that you should read something about metabolism. There are also many studies that suggest a person should eat four to five meals a day--not going more than five hours between meals--in order to keep the metabolism from slowing down.

Despite the stupid title and all, a book called the Fat Smash Diet might be a great help to you. It offers a great deal of information and a basic diet that is easy to follow....