Monday, March 26, 2007

Developing Self Discipline

I read an inspiring story today about a Pastor who lost 210 lbs (through diet and exercise) and it reminded me of several things. The original article is available here: "You gotta have faith"

One of the best parts (and I love this because it's true), was this quote:

"I realized that God wasn't going to do it," Dawkins said. "This was a discipline issue that I needed to learn myself."
Amen to that! It's true. I believe that trials (especially for Christians), including addictions, pain and suffering are a form of character refinement. If life isn't difficult and challenging then we don't learn and don't grown.

This is a Biblical principle:

"...though you have to put up with every kind of aggravation in the meantime. Pure gold put in the fire comes out of it proved pure; genuine faith put through suffering comes out proved genuine." 1 Peter 1: 6-7 of The Message
We experience trials and pain in our lives to refine our faith and our character - as a Christian I believe beyond this that everything come to us from God to refine our faith so we can serve Him better.

My point is this... I believe my weight is one of these refining challenges. I am choosing WLS - which is by no means an 'easy-out' - to help me to focus and address this food addiction. Even prior to the surgery (and certainly after) I must learn a new type of self-discipline and I am practicing it now with my USANA diet. It will require discipline to stick within the rules and will have stronger and more immediate consequences if I do not (and hopefully a wonderful payoff too).

No comments: