Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Most desirable size... a 12?!!

This article is surprising, especially for those of us over a 12, I'm glad to see I don't have to aim so very, very low to expect "those looks". LOL!

"73% of men like their women to be size 10 or 12 (31% said size 10 and 42% said size 12)." (Article: Size Zero? The UK Would Prefer A Size 12)
I find this really an amazing statistic (and there are other interesting ones in there), and it's good in-as-much as it is realistic. Although new size "00" has been getting all the news, perhaps this survey reflects the fact that men do like curves (in the right areas).

Another shocking fact I just can hardly believe is my "target weight" when considering the current BMI charts. Starting at 257, and even with WLS, is it physically possible for me to ever be under 135 lbs? My target "range" is 105 - 135 lbs according to the chart given to me by my WLS bariatric nurse, although the range is higher on the Health Canada chart shown below.


This Health Canada BMI chart give me a little more leeway, with a high marker target of 145 lbs. Which I think really is do-able. I haven't heard yet from the WLS clinic what my target range should be, but I'm sure curious. Most articles I've read say that "success" for WLS patients is losing 70% of the total weight they should lose. For me that would mean about 80 lbs and leave me at 177. But with my committment to exercise and activity, I hope I can reach 150.

Of interest, I was just diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis (click here for a full description) which basically just means trauma to the ligament connecting your under-foot toe muscles to your heel. When I get up in the morning my heel hurts so much I can hardly stand on it and I limp around for a few minutes until I stretch it out. I can't jog either or the muscles seize up immediately and are very painful. This has limited my ability to exercise, but according to my pedometer I'm averaging about 6500 steps on a normal day. Not too shabby, but I should be aiming for 10,000.

No comments: