Saturday, May 26, 2007

Dietitian & Physio Meeting

Hello all!

Had my 3rd appointment in Edmonton yesterday. Lovely drive up and back (3 hours each way) with my Mom, nice lunch, nice dinner - great meeting = what a fine day.

Although my weight loss has stopped (because I've been off task and undisciplined as of late), my overall weight loss to-date made the dietitian quite pleased. Basically we reviewed stuff from my food journal and she said 'keep up the good work'. We came up with a few ideas to cut calories and increase food volume without increasing calories so I can stay fuller longer. My homework consists of only 2 points!

a) Make my cafe au lait at home (half the calories cause I can use lite soy milk)

and

b) Start trying to use more 'real food' instead of so much pre-made, packaged 'diet' foods (i.e. the USANA shakes, bars, Slimfast bars, etc).

The physiotherapist also had some good ideas. I'm not a go-to-the-gym kinda girl (not one little iota that way) and find it much easier and sustainable to work in more activity in little segments throughout the day. She has some ideas about how to do this - like stepping up and down on the truck side-steps 10 times, each leg a couple times a day. Doing a few push-ups on the stairs whenever I run into stairs throughout my day, and taking the stairs whenever they are there (within reason). All great ideas.

This meeting was just what I needed to get back on-track and refocused. The clinic team were all happy with my progress and encouraging.

Additionally, the good news is that if I continue to lose weight and succeed I'm actually getting closer to my surgery. My hubby recently said something that made me think, he said "If you keep losing the weight, why would they give you the surgery if you can do it on your own?". I thought that was a good point... so I asked the dietitian this directly. I thought her explaination was great. She said "If you are losing the weight you're proving you can stick with a plan and 'deserve' the opportunity to add this tool to the process. It's not a solution on it's own, it just helps you further. Showing you can lose weight on your own is a good thing, and wouldn't preclude you from getting the surgery unless YOU don't think you need it."

Great! I'll have at least 2 more meetings over the next 4 months and then they may take me for assessment with the doctor. If I'm approved, it will only be a matter of weeks until the surgery. So that's good news too. That could mean surgery sometime in Oct/Nov. I'd wait until I get back from vacation in October I think and then it will be a lovely Christmas present to myself. Exciting stuff!

No comments: